Adding the QMSS Ph.D. Emphasis
Any student admitted to the PhD. program of a
may apply to add the Quantitative Methods in the Social Sciences Ph.D. emphasis. Applications for admission
to the emphasis must be endorsed by a member of the
QMSS core faculty
in the student's home department. Applications for admission are accepted at any time, and should be submitted
to the chair of the QMSS coordinating committee.
Potential QMSS students may be interested in this list of frequently asked questions.
QMSS Application Checklist
- Verify your home department is a QMSS participating
- Select a QMSS advisor. Any member of the QMSS core
faculty in your
home department may serve as your QMSS advisor. You can either approach one of these faculty members directly
or contact one of the members of the QMSS coordinating
committee for help in finding an advisor.
- With the help of your QMSS advisor, complete the
QMSS application and course contract. This contract details
your plan to complete the QMSS curriculum.
- Sign the application form, and obtain the signature of your QMSS advisor and your home department faculty
advisor. (One faculty member may serve in both of these roles.)
- Send your completed application to the chair of the QMSS
- Your application will then be reviewed by the QMSS
at its next meeting (the coordinating committee typically meets once a month). You may be asked to make some
revisions to your course contract. Once your application is approved, you will need to file a
petition with the Graduate Division in
order to add the QMSS emphasis to your Ph.D. program.
QMSS Application Forms
Faculty Interested in QMSS
Faculty interested in becoming a core or
affiliated member of the QMSS faculty, attending
or presenting at the QMSS colloquia, or desiring any
information about the QMSS emphasis should contact the chair of the QMSS